Its time for strawberry jam. Easy to make and relatively fast, it’s really good for breakfast in the morning, or for filling pies and other desserts. Treat the sterilized jars with care and you can store the jam until next spring.
SERVINGS per 1 kg of jam
- 1 kg of clean strawberries
- 1 Apple
- 1 lemon
- 750 g of sugar
- Choose red and firm strawberries. Rinse them under running water, dry them with paper towels and clean them by removing the stems and any white parts. Then cut them into four parts
- Peel the apple and cut into long thick strips, so then you can remove the peel easily. Remove the core and cut into tiny little pieces
- Peel the lemon rind (only the yellow part) and juice the rest
- In a large pot (the larger the faster the evaporation and the less cooking time you will need). Mix the strawberries with the lemon rind and the lemon juice, the apple and the apple skin (peel)
- Cook at moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, to not make the fruit stick to the bottom
- Add the sugar, continue to stir, and bring to boil
- Boil for 30 minutes, until the jam starts to thicken (remember to use a large pot, otherwise you will need more time, even double)
- With a slotted spoon, try to remove the Apple peel and the lemon rind
- Turn off the heat, add two tablespoons of rum, mix again and then fill the sterile jars with the hot jam.