Lentils are vegetables, which are a part of the Food Tradition in all regions of Italy. There are various types (at least 12 cultivar just typical of Italy alone) and they are distinguished, not only by taste, color, and size, but mainly for their consistency, their skin and their feel, or for the need to leave them soaking before cooking them.
The recipe that follows, does not expect the need to soak the lentils for hours, and are available in all supermarkets. In case read the instructions given by the seller.
- 350 grams of lentils
- Garlic cloves
- Laurel leaves
- Stock cube (bouillon cube)
- Wash the lentils and soak them for 10 mins
- Cut 1 medium size onion in slices, cut 10 cm of the celery, 1 carrot, 2 cloves of garlic and sauté all ingredients for 5 minutes, add 4 spoons of olive oil
- Add the lentils and add some lukewarm water, just enough to cover all
- Add 2 laurel leaves and the stock cube
- Bring to boil and cook at medium heat. Do not cover the pot until the lentils are not cooked or to your liking, (normally 20 minutes, if they are too dry add some more water)
- Add a bit of salt and serve with a very small amount of water, add some pepper and olive oil