The snow peas (also just peas) derive from the family of vegetable peas very widespread in the past. They are appreciated for their flavor, but mostly for their extraordinary nutritional contribution intake of vegetable protein, vitamins and minerals. A exquisite product, and therefore often used in haute cuisine.
Snow peas with tomato sauce constitutes an excellent side dish, but by adding an abundance of tomatoes and pecorino cheese, it can also be an amazing sauce for pasta.
● 500 g of snow peas
● 400 g of peeled tomatoes
● 1 onion
● 1 garlic clove
● Olive oil
- Remove any woody stalk from the snow peas, wash and boil them for 10 minutes in salted water
- In a pan fry the onion and chopped garlic over a low heat
- Add the snow peas cut in 1/2 and let them flavor for some minutes by mixing.
- Add the tomatoes and a cup of the cooking water. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes, until they have become soft and to your liking.
- Two minutes before turning off the heat, add a spoon of chopped basil and a bit of ground pepper.