The Dumplings a traditional dish from the German, Austrian cuisine. In Italy from Trentino. They are similar to large Gnocchi made with stale bread, by adding more of the various ingredients: Speck, cheeses, cold cuts, mushrooms, spinach, beets. You have an endless choice. Also the possibility of seasoning is numerous: Sweet and savory, in soup or in dry seasoned with butter or sage, or with sauces of various types. With this premise the dumplings become quite easy and fun to make. They allow you to unleash your imagination, using almost any variety of leftovers that you can find in the kitchen.
- 200 g of stale bread
- 50 g of butter
- 60 g grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon of chopped basil
- 1 liter of beef broth
- With your fingers coarsely crumble the stale bread
- In a bowl melt butter together with the eggs at room temperature
- Add the parsley and basil, some nutmeg, a bit of pepper, some salt, the grated Parmesan cheese and mix everything together
- Also add the bread and mix together until the mixture is smooth, but not too soft
- Now make many little balls, about the size of an egg, and place them in the boiling broth
- Reduce the heat and after 10-12 minutes, as soon as the dumplings come to the surface, turn of the heat and serve them warm.